Friday, January 28, 2011

This is going to be one tricked out car


I know I mentioned previously that we try to teach the kids recycling.   They are still amazed at the truck sized can bin that they can contribute to in the neighborhood.  It sounds great when you dump the cans in.  There are so many different kinds of cans in there, that it is great fun to check it out.  And… well, it smells gross sweet.  They love it.  

But beyond that, we really talk about the first 2 R’s.  Reduce and Reuse.   Seriously, there are times when I want to scream at how well the kiddos listen to me.   Suddenly, we have a child who finishes her corn dog (don’t judge…) and looks at the stick with meat juice, ketchup and a little bit of burnt on corn breading and says: “Mom, I have a great plan, let’s reuse this!”   Seriously.  Not what I was looking for.  

I was on simple lessons like: let’s not buy the apples as Costco because they come in unnecessary plastic clam shells.   Or let’s color on both sides of a piece of paper instead of only one.   But noooo.  I get a girl who digs through the garbage and recycling bins to let me know how and why we should reuse things.  

We have "plans" to make a car.  So far, the top of the coffee creamer will be the gas cap.  Straws from a juice box will be the antenna and windshield wipers.  The box will be cut for the license plate.   A 20 soda bottle?  That will be the cowboy driving.  The corn dog stick? the door handle. The peanut butter top? Lights.
 
I am sure this is the first of many times when I will be bitten by my own lesson.  Welcome in mice, come on down and lick our toy car.

No comments: