Saturday, March 16, 2013

It's ok to ask for forgiveness

How do they do it?  How do children, small little children have such deep souls?  Today it was my three year old, little Miss R.  She has a deapth of character that seems unparalleled.  She has strong influence from an intellectual actively-working-to-solve-the-worlds-problems sister and another that is emotionally in tune in a way that seems to actually FEEL the love and hurt of the world.  Those influences combined with the most free and creative and loving nanny the world has known, has helped to shape this little lady.  She brings the gift of courage, self assuradness and determination to this combination of influences.  

The best part? She still has the baby "accent." So you will hear these worldly responses from this tiny little body and voice.  Today, she showed me her middle child strengths by giving me the gift of forgiveness.  I have been solo parenting all day.  I took the ladies, and my mom and sister to Costco midday on a Saturday. The ladies didn't nap. I had post-pizza Friday stuff to clean up, and several boxes of toys were dumped. Ugh. I was frustrated, but it may have been tipped off by me, trying to use a bunch of need-to-be-used now foods that resulted in a soup that was simple and delicious.  Until Ms. R decided to season it on her own. Ugh!!!!

Anyway, we were heading to bed. Or, more specifically, they were. Four girls, yelling at me about one thing or another. Yes to this, no to this. Get me that. My doll is missing.  And then J was running around with her cute, but mischievous smile doing oh so helpful thing like unrolling all of the toilet paper on the roll.  Well, it gets to be a lot.  I finally shouted "GO TO BED!!" And they scurried.  R was in her bed and mumbled "I just don't understand... I just needed to go potty, and I don't like these PJ's. I told you that yesterday." I felt bad. I apologized. I looked right in her eyes and said "I'm sorry. I'm tired. I'm frustrated and I shouldn't yell." And then, the most amazing thing in the whole world happend.  She said "that's ok mom, those of us in the brown-eyed club have strong emotions. We love just as fiercely as we yell.  Now kiss me." And she pulled my shirt close, gave me a kiss and a strong hug. When we pulled apart, she looked me in they eyes again, kissed me again and said goodnight. As I left, I could hear her saying "Ok guys, its time to go to bed this time."  This from the lady that is always last to bed, first to rise.
Parenting is tough. Make no mistake about that. Thankfully, you don't have to be perfect. It is a job that allows for imperfection, forgiveness and is bathed in love.  Thank you to every last person that helps us on this parenting journey.  We are certainly doing it together, and the community, the little people, the love is all so powerful. And the results? Well I sure think they are amazing!

Now who wants to join the brown eyed club?  

No comments: