Friday, November 19, 2010

All parents think their kids are brilliant

I am sure everyone deep down thinks that their kid did whatever cute, clever and wonderful thing first.   I am always amazed at the skill acquisition of the 8-14 month olds.  Man, I am pretty sure that if you let them try to make you a four course meal, they could make it happen.   You have to watch out for them.  I am sure you didn't think they were thinking much of anything... but they are.

Ms R is no exception.  Not only is she physically gifted but I think she will be very verbally talented as well.  She really puts both of those two skills together when she is signing.  It kind of freaks me out when you see babies use sign language.  I am not really sure why we teach them.  It is really unnerving when you see a six month old ask for more.  Or like last night, my 10 month old signed finished to me when I asked her if she wanted to get out of the tub.  Adorable? sure.  Genius? certainly.  Freaky - unquestionably.  I told you they could take over the world. 

As is developmentally appropriate, our baby is a good mimic.  She will copy rhythmic patterns and intonation.  It is fun.  But prior to knowing this about her,  I picked her up from nana-care and she was growling.  Like a real chesty growl.  First I thought cute, she is a little bear.  Then I thought, this isn't OK, this is totally wrong.  She must have a punctured lung or something.  How can she just keep growling with every breath?  What child ever really growls?   Apparently R does.  It is such a deep bear like thing that you can feel in her chest.  

Only my brilliant children abandon all communication skills, signing, mimicking, talking and revert to guttural growls.  But, when you are the third, apparently you have to do whatever it takes to get your voice heard.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

No comments: