Wednesday, October 20, 2010

What we are thankful for

We are thankful for everything really. But going around the table at thanksgiving and saying what we are thankful for is a silly routine (according to me). I just hate the idea of this prescribed sappiness. We don't really give gifts for birthday's or christmas either. I don't like valentines day and up until this past year, I boycotted the celebration of mother's day as well. (Apparently I was in need of some celebrating this year...)

Anyway. I am such a believer in celebrating when you see fit. Like today, the girls wanted to wear halloween costumes to day care. I checked it out in advance (thinking of the other kids), but as far as I am concerned, wear them breakfast/lunch/dinner. Use them. Enjoy them. So off hopped Tigger and a very sad Eeyore (perhaps the cutest image on earth). I will have photos later.

But, my point was about saying thanks. I really feel it is important to have some balance. The girls do help and I want them to help. They are great, so I tell them whenever I can thanks for X. Like if they tell me a funny joke, I say thanks for making me laugh. If they help with the dishes (even if they make more of a mess then a help) I say thanks for helping girls, it really means a lot to me. I does. Again, I am not saying "thanks for everyone who was so loving this year...." Blah.

My favorite part is to say something as I leave their room at night. I say "Thanks girls. I really had fun playing today. I thought it was fun when we pretended to build a playground in the basement." Or whatever the activity was of the day. They are as much (if not more) a part of directing how our day runs. At the end, why not say hey... that was awesome!

I am sure the response I will get tonight is "boing boing boing, thanks for noticing me..."

No comments: